Disability Accommodation Request Procedures
Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) is committed to assuring equal employment opportunity and equal access to services, programs and activities for persons with disabilities. It is the policy of IUPUI to provide reasonable accommodation to a qualified person with a disability to enable such person to perform the essential functions of the position for which one is employed or is applying. The University shall provide a reasonable accommodation to an individual with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship or would fundamentally alter the nature or operation of the business unit. This policy is based on Sections 503/504 of the federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 as amended. The Office of Equal Opportunity (OEO) is responsible for ensuring compliance with the law and for the implementation of the reasonable accommodation procedures.
A reasonable accommodation is any change or adjustment to a job or work environment which permits a qualified individual with a disability to perform the essential functions of a job, or access to benefits and privileges of employment. It is the responsibility of the individual with a disability to make his/her disability status and subsequent need for an accommodation known to an appropriate University official. Once notified, it is the responsibility of the University official and the individual with a disability to engage in dialogue to identify possible accommodations, assess the reasonableness, and effectiveness of the accommodation[s]. Accommodation decision will be made on a case by case basis and will be tailored to address the nature of the disability.
- The Disability Accommodation Request form must be completed whenever an individual requests a reasonable accommodation.
- T he completed form and medical documentation should be submitted either to his/her supervisor or directly to the OEO.
- T he supervisor, upon receipt of the accommodation request, will contact and forward the request to the OEO.
- Within ten (10) calendar days of receipt of the accommodation request, the OEO will acknowledge and facilitate the accommodation process.
- The accommodation process requires that the individual provide medical documentation from an appropriate medical professional and/or submit to a medical evaluation by IUPUI
- When necessary, the OEO will schedule the medical evaluation with IUPUI Health Services.
- Once the medical evaluation is completed, Health Services will provide a written assessment of the employee’s limitations and eligibility for coverage under the ADA and make accommodation recommendations.
- The OEO will facilitate the discussion between the parties to assess the reasonableness and effectiveness of the recommended reasonable accommodation[s].
- The OEO will communicate the accommodation information to the individual and the Department in writing.